Monday, February 16, 2015

Memoir Objectives

I'm really looking forward to writing a memoir! I have never done any writing in this capacity and I think It will be a great learning experience. I personally have never thought of any type of personal narrative other than journaling as an obtainable goal in my writing. When I hear the word memoir, I only think of "novel" length pieces of writing. Having learned that memoir writing is not just that has opened up a new style of writing for me. I have started my piece, and I feel like writing whilst keeping an audience in mind, has created a new style in my writing. I hop to hone this craft and learn how to write something personal while also entertaining my reader.

I hope my audience can enjoy what they're reading as well as learn a little bit about me and my past. I hope to be able to convey the lessons I learned from what I'm writing about, to my reader in an effective way. I kind of feel as if that's the reason people read memoirs: to learn what the writer has learned through their experience.

I am having a hard time keeping my writing concise. I think writing about something personal can be difficult for me because I think everything that happened is important and affected the event n some way, however in retrospect it didn't and the reader shouldn't have to sift through too many details to take away the point of the piece. keeping extraneous detail out has help to keep the writing direct. I am trying to leave out the little things. I am writing about major happenings at the time and leaving the rest out. It's shaping up well, and I am excited to see what the finished product will be like and who knows? Maybe I'll continue with it and develop it into a longer piece of writing!

1 comment:

  1. You chose a good memory to share; I think remembering and writing about things that don't work out gives us another opportunity to learn something new and gives us perspective on things that we can apply as we go forward or experience similar types of events. I think you readers learned from your account but work on your storytelling techniques. Writing a memoir that teaches and entertains isn't easy - keep working on developing your voice.

    ReplyDelete