Friday, February 6, 2015

Memoir Ideas

1. My audition to Western Michigan University for their Vocal Performance program.

Coming to the end of high school, I was having a hard time deciding what I wanted to study in college. I had always been interested in politics, but I had recently gotten into the performing arts and the drive to be on stage was somewhat insatiable. I applied to many universities but sent in to a few, an application for their vocal performance program to study music education and opera singing. The experience taught me a ton about self discipline (preparing for such an important audition) as well as self-confidence (prior to this endeavor I had little experience performing for other people). The audition was on a Saturday so on Friday night I journeyed to Kalamazoo, MI, with my mom as well as two of my best friends who were auditioning for other programs in the performing arts at WMU.

2. My decision to transfer from WMU back home to Oakland University.

About half way through my Freshman year at WMU, I began to feel as if the program I was in wasn't quite right for me. I had many friends in different music education programs who would tell me about all of the classroom experience they were getting and how much they enjoyed school. This got me thinking about transferring. I toyed with the idea for many months but after a lot of buckling dow I decided my education was the most important thing and made the decision to transfer. I was a very hard thing to do, leaving all of the friends I had made, and heading back home. This ordeal taught me a lot about acting on what is best for you. I was nervous when deciding to transfer back home that people would think I couldn't handle being on my own. Although this wasn't the case, I couldn't shake the fear. Eventually though I felt as if it didn't matter. That even if someone felt that way, I didn't care because I needed to do what was best for me.

3. My volunteer experience with the International Rescue Committee in Atlanta, GA.

My sophomore year of college, I traveled to Atlanta, GA with a few great friends, and a TON of strangers to spend a week volunteering at a center for Refugees from all over the world. I had never even thought of doing anything like this, but my good friend talked me into it, and alas, there I was. We spent the week doing various things at the center, but I spent most of the week specifically teaching English to a group of about ten 30-50 year olds. The experience was eye opening. Hearing the various stories about these people, laughing at the failed attempts at communication, and realizing that we are all the same no matter what walk of life you come from. This is perhaps the most impactful week I have ever had in my life. I shaped the path in which I want to follow for a career, and changed my heart in a way I cannot justly explain.

1 comment:

  1. These are pretty meaty topics, so you are going to want to narrow the telling to one event or a few moments within these larger topics. Choose the one that offers you and your reader the most cathartic experience.

    ReplyDelete