Monday, January 26, 2015

"Writing As Self Revelation"

The article Writing As Self Revelation was quite interesting in it's description of self narrative in a classroom setting should be handled. Specifically when it refers to whether or not group work or work as an individual would be best, as well as when it ponders how much control should be implemented in writing. It was interesting to think back on writing assignments I have completed in the past. After contemplating this for a moment I think, the creative writing specifically, the writing I did in grade school was a bit too structured. 

I think writing freely without structure is, in a way, more beneficial than writing for a prompt. Sure there are times when structure can be helpful and it is a great way for a young writer, but writing freely (in my own opinion) is what makes people fall in love with writing. It wasn't until I was in collegiate creative writing classes that I realized the passion I had for it. I think often about how much I would have enjoyed using writing throughout my childhood, but I wasn't really presented with the opportunity to develop a love for it. 

That is really what the title of the article is all about. Self revelation. "A surprising and previously unknown fact." According to Webster, this is the definition of revelation. This really makes the title, Writing as Self Finding. That plays exactly into my own view of why writing is so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment